As a seller, your relationship with a REALTOR® is vital so meet with several before making a final decision. Choose a REALTOR® you feel comfortable with; one who will handle the sale of your home as if it were his or her own. Your REALTOR® will help you understand the selling process. He or she will provide you with a full explanation of what to expect so you are not faced with any surprises along the way. One of the first steps you need to take as a seller is to have ready all of the paper work required for selling your home. Here is the breakdown:
- Mortgage documents: you may wish to meet with your loans officer to discuss transferring, discharging or paying out your mortgage. This is a good time to begin negotiations on the terms of your next mortgage.
- A Statement from your lender indicating the mortgage balance and the date to which interest has been paid
- Property survey: be sure to inform your RE/MAX agent if there have been any changes to your property that could affect the accuracy of the survey.
- Your deed or transfer of title document.
- Tax assessment documents.
- Utility bills – Receipts showing payment of the latest water, electric, and gas bills
- Other claims relating to your home:
– separation agreement or court order
– will or probate documents
– unpaid judgments against you
– unpaid taxes
– unpaid utilities
– pending litigation
- Pertinent condominium documents (if you live in this type of home)
- Maintenance history (include repair receipts)
- Items and information that will make your home more marketable: